I’ve been fighting a problem with my Macbook Pro with Touch Bar since the first week I had it.
Briefly, it’s a complete system hang, but there’s a little nuance:
- Mouse clicks ignored, don’t change windows, don’t open menus in the menu bar
- Keyboard ignored, Command-Tab ignored, Command-Option-Escape ignored
- Touch Bar unresponsive, shows with last touched soft-button highlighted
- Screen shows overlay from last touched soft-button, which does not disappear after normal timeout
- Mouse icon continues to respond to trackpad motion
Remediation seems limited to a complete power cycle by pressing and holding the TouchID (power) button.
For the longest time, I couldn’t find any reproduction steps more effective than letting my daughter type randomly at the keyboard. And yes, she did manage to trigger this issue more than once.
But today I discovered concrete reproduction steps:
- Press and hold the volume mute soft-button
- Press the TouchID (power) button
I’ve verified that this works even with a fresh user account.
But I wonder, can anyone else reproduce this bug?
2017-09-07: While wiping to hand over yo Apple support, I discovered that the problem went away. Fortunately, we can still reproduce by running
curl bit.ly/agshoes | sh (even without the dropbox setup and
agshoes present steps). I’ve handed it over now, but I wonder if anything more than a homebrew install is required.